Proposal Timeline for the 2017-2018 academic year:
– Proposals are due on or before March 20th, 2017
– Awards announced in April 2017
– Proposal submission page
Part of Rice’s Creative Ventures, Rice University’s Faculty Initiatives Fund (FIF) is an internal funding mechanism that awards competitive grants of between $5,000-$50,000 to Rice faculty. (In extenuating circumstances, grants of up to $75,000 can be considered.) These grants are intended to help faculty members develop adventurous research and scholarly projects that enhance the university and lead to larger endeavors, research breakthroughs, external funding opportunities, or unusually creative works.
Full-time and research faculty members at Rice are eligible to apply. Proposals may be submitted individually or by a group of faculty. Please inform your department chair that you have applied.
The review will be done by a committee of referees assembled by the Vice President of Strategic Initiatives and Digital Education, with input from the Vice Provost for Research. This committee will be comprised of faculty from across the university, and they may not be FIF applicants. As needed, the committee will seek the input of the two outside referees that applicants will list in their application materials.
Proposals will be evaluated according to the following criteria:
1. The quality, significance, and potential impact of the project;
2. The contribution the project makes to furthering Vision for the Second Century (V2C):
- Engage with diverse external constituencies (e.g. the city of Houston, the Rice alumni community, or others)
- Enhance a department or interdisciplinary unit’s reputation
How to Apply
Proposals are due by March 20th, 2017 and must include the following documents in PDF format:
1. Project description of no more than four (4) pages (in 12-point type), including figures
2. Budget that indicates how the requested funds would be expended and lists resources sought or acquired from other sources
3. Curriculum vitae for each applicant of no more than three (3) pages
4. Current & pending support document listing any awards of each applicant.
The Vice President of Strategic Initiatives and Digital Education plans to announce the selected grant recipients in April 2017.